Not many of us spend our days thinking about all the ways we use and enjoy window treatments. (Though we do at All About Blinds & Shutters!) Window treatments are the unsung heroes of home comfort.
That’s why it is so vital to choose a window treatment that will mesh with your lifestyle. It is important to consider functionality, convenience, safety, and an aesthetic that will bring the room together. All of these and more can factor into what you need from your window treatments. Knowing what your priorities are will help you choose the right window treatment material for your home.
Choose Your Aesthetic with Different Materials
Whether you prefer the cozy elegance of wood, the soft ambiance of fabric, or the clean, modern lines of metal, it is easy to find a custom window treatment to fit your aesthetic. The complicated part is figuring out what material will work best with your lifestyle.
- Wood: Wood comes in many colors and finishes. Typically shutters or blinds are made of wood. While they often cost more than other options, they can lend a gorgeous natural look to any room. Wood window treatments are also an eco friendly option in that they are recyclable, can block a tremendous amount of light and heat, and their materials are often sustainably sourced. They do not, however, lend themselves well to areas with a lot of humidity, as they are more susceptible to warping. Wood window treatments also have a better weight to strength ratio when compared to the Synthetic or Polymer options. As a result they can be made larger and lighter in weight than their Synthetic counterparts.
- Faux wood: Faux wood window treatments offer the same beautiful appearance as wood window treatments with a lower price tag and a higher durability. They are easy to clean, too! If you need window treatments in an area with a lot of heat and/or moisture, or in a messy area (think kitchens and bathrooms), this is a great option.
- Aluminum: Aluminum window treatments are perfect for reflecting both light and heat to keep your rooms cool and comfortable, even in the summer. Cleaning them is a breeze. They are also a budget-friendly option.
- Fabric: Fabric window treatments typically consist of shades and Roman shades. They can come in basically any color you can think of, as well as patterns. They are great for insulating the home and regulating temperatures, which can help you save big on energy bills! They also come in different opacities, so you can choose anything from privacy with soft illumination to total blackout. Fabric shades can also be motorized, which increases not only convenience, because they can be programmed and controlled remotely, but also safety, as it eliminates cords, which can be dangerous for children and pets. It is commonly thought that these would be the most high maintenance because they would get dusty and trap odors. However that is not the case! Most are anti-static in order to repel dust and allergens so they stay fresh, meaning cleanings are few and far between.
- Woven wood: Woven wood shades are a stylish option that lend an organic feel to your interior design. They come in many natural hues and feature high-quality craftsmanship. They offer exceptional privacy, and can be coupled with a liner to give you maximum flexibility for light filtering. They are highly durable but less easy to clean than a faux wood window treatment.
As you can see, style is an important factor to consider when choosing new window treatments, but it is not the only factor. Determining what else you need from your window treatments will also help you narrow down your choices.
Quality and Excellent Service at All About Blinds & Shutters
Are you too busy to clean frequently? No problem! Are you getting window treatments for an area with lots of heat and spills? We got you! Does your cat keep getting tangled in the cords? We can fix that!
Our design experts can help you choose the right window treatment in the right material and color to suit your home’s unique needs. Contact us today for more information!